Special Class Railway Apprentices (SCRA) Examination 2015:
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts every year entrance exam for selecting Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) to Indian Railways.
- This program was started in 1927.
- The selected candidates undergo a four-year rigorous training programme in Mechanical Engineering, Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Jamalpur.
- IRIMEE has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi for the training.
- SCRAs get a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering after successful completion of four years of training. This degree is recognised by the All India Council for Technical Education.
- On successful completion of the course they are posted as Assistant Mechanical Engineer (AME) in Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers.
- As they are posted directly as Group A officer they rapidly goes higher up in the ladder to become senior administrators of Indian Railways.
Stipend and other Benefits
- Not only that SCRA Apprentices are trained at Railways expense, they are paid stipend at the following rates along with DA applicable:
|Year||Stipend per month|
|Fourth[First six months]||Rs. 9400|
|[Last six months]||Rs. 9700|
- Special Class Apprentice moving from one headquarter to another in connection with their training will be eligible for daily allowance for the period covered by the journey.
- During their stay at the Railway Staff College, Baroda, Special Class Apprentices will be granted daily allowance at full rates for the entire period of their training at the college.
- Leave: Special Class Railway Apprentices may be granted leave on full stipend for a period not exceeding one month in any year of apprenticeship.
- Medical facilities : Special Class Apprentices shall be entitled to free medical attendance and treatment at railway hospitals and dispensaries on the same scale as applicable to railway servants
- Travelling facilities: 2 sets of Pass and 6 sets of Privilege Ticket Orders(PTO) are admissible per year valid from anywhere to anywhere on Indian Railways
- SCRA exam is conducted by UPSC and is one of the toughest exams in the country as each year there are only around 10 vacancies.
- For Admission to the examination a candidate must have passed in the first or second division, the Intermediate or an equivalent examination of a university or board approved by the Government of India with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination
Scheme of exam
|Paper-I||General Ability Test (English, General Knowledge and Psychological Test)||2 hours||200|
|Paper-II||Physical Sciences (Physics and Chemistry)||2 hours||200|
|Part II||Personality Test carrying a maximum of 200 marks in respect of only those candidates who are declared qualified on the results of written examination.|
Exam Date : 18 January’2015
Last date to apply : Last date for On-Line application is 7 Nov 2014. The notification is available on upsc.gov.in.
For more details click: http://upsc.gov.in/exams/notifications/2015/Notice%20SCRA%202015%20ENGLISH.pdf